An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Distillation-Column Operation, Control & Troubleshooting
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
Distillation column is a critical piece of equipment in the refining of crude oil. It acts like a still, which separates the crude into its different chemical components based on differences in volatility. This is typically the first phase of the petroleum refining process where crude oil is distilled into various components because of different boiling points. The column is a pressure vessel that heats the crude oil in pressurized environment to separate it into different components based on different boiling points. Two main types of distillation columns: Packed type and Tray type. This EuroMaTech Distillation-Column Operation, Control and Troubleshooting training course will cover the main aspects of the operation and control of the processes in distillation column. It is intended to develop a working knowledge of key techniques that can promote trouble-free operation, an understanding of distillation concepts, valuable practical trouble-free design and proven techniques of commissioning, start-up/ shutdown of normal and emergency operation.
Participants attending this EuroMaTech Distillation-Column Operation, Control and Troubleshooting training course will develop the following competencies:
- Ability to operate successfully and control a distillation column
- Knowledge to improve product quality and purity
- Ideas to optimize energy utilization for distillation systems
- Ability to evaluate existing column performance, based on internals design details
This EuroMaTech Distillation-Column Operation, Control and Troubleshooting training course aims to enable participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Developed working knowledge of key techniques that can promote trouble-free operation
- Understanding of distillation design concepts, practical approached to maintenance
- Analysis and troubleshooting the problems of a distillation column and able to determine what
- Finding the root cause of poor performance.
- Developing methods for capacity optimization related to tray damage, down comer sealing problems, packed tower distributor malfunctions and other operating difficulties
- Improvement of distillation column high yield product separation by eliminating instability
- Operation of distillation column with best efficiency, better performance
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Lead Operators and Boardmen (LO & BO)
- Other Relevant Technical Personnel
This EuroMaTech Distillation-Column Operation, Control and Troubleshooting training course will be conducted along workshop principles with formal lectures and interactive worked out examples. The emphasis in the training course will be on the explanation of all technical points and providing answers to problems that are encountered in everyday industrial practice regarding the distillation column operation assessment. Each learning point will be reinforced with practical examples and problems to be solved in team work during several workshops. There will be ample opportunities for active discussion and sharing professional experiences and exchange that will help solidify the gained knowledge.
This EuroMaTech Distillation-Column Operation, Control and Troubleshooting training course is intended to provide useful knowledge in applying the analysis of operation of distillation column. Also provided will be the methodology for implementation of energy saving procedure. This training course will provide best practices on how the efficiently control the process and optimize the final product.
Day 1 - General Overview of Components of Distillation System
- Various types of distillation columns (Stripper, Evaporator, Vacuum, Azeotrope)
- Specifics of Batch, Flash, and Multistage Distillation Process
- Relative Advantages of Tray and Packed Columns
- Stage Efficiency Determination Methods (Basic Level)
- Calculation of Overall Column Efficiency for Tray Columns
- Calculation Point and Tray Efficiencies
- Calculation of Number and Height of Transfer Units (TU) for Packing
- Impact of Variation of Rate of Reflux and Temperature on Column Efficiency
- Impact of Flooding and Foaming on Column Efficiency and Capacity
- Workshop: Case Studies
Day 2 - Thermodynamics and Consideration of Equilibrium
- Vapour-Liquid Equilibrium: (Pure Components and Complex Mixtures)
- Volatility of Pure Components: Boiling Point and Vapor Pressure
- Concept of Sensible and Latent Heat
- Specifics of Mixtures in Distillation: Dew point and Bubble Point, Vaporization Curves, Total/partial Condensation and Vaporization, Liquid-Vapor Separation, and Distribution of Components According to Volatility
- Relation Between Temperature, Pressure, and Composition of Distillate and Residual
- Relative Advantages of Tray and Packed Columns.
- Worksop: Case Studies
Day 3 - Distillation Equipment and Design
- Trays and Packing: Types, Operational Limits, Technical Characteristics
- Tray/Packed Column: Types and Sizes, Technical and Operational Characteristics
- Columns for Fouling Service
- Columns for Vacuum Service
- Supports, Liquid Distributors, Other Accessories.
- Workshop: Case Studies
Day 4 - Commissioning and Start-up: Process Control and Optimization
- Pre-Commissioning, Commissioning and Start Up Procedure
- Distillation Column Control
- Functions of Process Control
- Characteristics of Continuous Process
- Column Operation: Controlled and Manipulated Process Variables
- Monitoring of Level, Flow rates, Composition, Pressure, Temperature
- Normal and Emergency Shut-down Guidelines
- Worksop: Case Studies
Day 5 - Troubleshooting
- Evaluation of Operating Parameters of Tray Column and Packed Column
- Tools for Diagnosing Operating Problems: Mass Balance and Flow Rates
- Fouling of Columns and Tray Collapse
- Common Start-up Problems and Remedies
- Corrosion Control and Chemical Dosing
- Workshop: Case Studies from History and Lessons Learnt
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.