Process hazard analysis (PHA) is a key requirement of OSHA's Process Safety Management (PSM) standard, 29 CFR 1910.119. These regulations require that PHA address toxic, fire and explosion hazards resulting from specific chemicals (called major hazards herein) and their possible impacts on employees, the public and the environment. The specific chemicals are defined in the regulations and are called Highly Hazardous Chemicals by OSHA. The regulations specify six acceptable PHA methods but also allow the use of "an appropriate equivalent methodology".
Of the six PHA techniques listed in the PSM and RMP regulations, only HAZOP was developed specifically for use in the chemical process industries. The course will give an understanding of when formal identification of hazards is required and an understanding of the role of Hazard Identification in safety justification and design details of the different techniques for Hazard Identification and their advantages and disadvantages.
HAZOP and What-If reviews are two of the most common petrochemical industry qualitative methods used to conduct process hazard analyses. Up to 80% of a company's process hazard analyses may consist of HAZOP and What-If reviews with the remainder 20% from Checklist, Fault Tree Analysis, Event Tree, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, etc.
A review team led by an experienced Team Leader can use the analysis to generate possible deviations from design, construction, modification, and operating intent that define potential consequences. These consequences can then be prevented or mitigated by the application of the appropriate safeguards. OSHA expects that process hazard analysis (PHA) Team Leaders be qualified to lead PHAs either by experience prior to the issuance of the PSM standard (which was promulgated in 1992) or through training.
This EuroMaTech training course helps prepare Team Leaders to lead and facilitate study teams in PHA.
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.