- Contract Management for Non-Contract Professionals 16 - 20 May 2021
- LV, MV and HV Circuit Breakers 16 - 20 May 2021
- The 10-day Contract & Project Management Skills for Non-Professionals 16 - 27 May 2021
- Oil & Gas Operational Safety 16 - 20 May 2021
- Financial Analysis: Evaluation, Budgeting & Decision Making 16 - 20 May 2021
- Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and Operational Excellence 16 - 20 May 2021
- SAP Enterprise Resource Planning 16 - 20 May 2021
- Process Plant Start-up and Commissioning 16 - 20 May 2021
- Process Plant Start-up, Commissioning and Troubleshooting 16 - 27 May 2021
- Emotional Intelligence: EQ for Innovative Leadership and Corporate Teamwork 16 - 20 May 2021
- Healthcare Operations: Cost Control & Productivity Management 16 - 20 May 2021
- e-HR: Latest Trends and Applications 16 - 20 May 2021
- Integrated Reservoir Analysis: Concepts, Methodology & Importance 16 - 20 May 2021
- Leadership Development for Engineers 16 - 20 May 2021
- Leadership & Crisis Management in Emergency Situations 16 - 20 May 2021
- Advanced Presentation Skills 16 - 20 May 2021
- Petroleum Production Operations 17 - 21 May 2021
- Construction Administration for Engineers 17 - 21 May 2021
- The 5-day Contract Professional MBA 17 - 21 May 2021
- Ship Chartering, Laytime & Demurrage Masterclass 17 - 21 May 2021
Communication & Cultural Considerations with “Social Distancing”
March 26, 2020
“Social Distancing” is a term that most people have only heard in the last few weeks. During the present pandemic, health officials in many countries have told the population to practice social distancing by staying home, avoiding groups of people and stop from touching others. The term itself comes from public health research and refers to non-pharmaceutical infection control actions to limit the spread of disease.
However, the words themselves are no clear and communication needs to be clear. Particularly during a time of crisis. In fact, The World Health Organization is officially advocating against the phrase “social distancing” and is recommending the phrase “physical distancing” instead, according to Reuters (WHO, 2020). This is a good idea as the technical term “social distancing” confuses many people. It doesn’t help that many countries even use the term differently. Let’s not even begin to look at the problem with the term “flatten the curve”.
When communicating plain English is always better. Writing in clear and simple language is about being focused on the person. Always try to write in a clear and unambiguous style that suits your reader. Consider your reader, say what you mean, using the simplest words that work. This does not necessarily imply using simple words but using words that the reader will understand.
The words “physical distancing” are better, but it may have been better to workshop these words to make sure they are clear, unambiguous and translate into other languages well. For this reason, the slogan “stay at home” is an example of clear English.
Danielle Ompad, an Professor at New York University’s School of Global Public Health says that while social distancing is very inconvenient and even frightening for the individual it’s for “the greater good” and that people “have to learn how to think about the collective rather than the individual.”
Thinking collectively is not a cultural norm in individualistic countries such as the USA, UK and Italy. It will come easier to societies with collective cultures (such as the UAE, China and the Philippines).
In individualistic societies such as the United States of America, emphasis is placed on personal achievements and individual rights. In contrast, in collectivist societies such as the People’s Republic of China, individuals act predominantly as members of the group. As Hofstede puts it, “this dimension is reflected in whether people’s self-image is defined in terms of “I” or “we.” (Hofstede, 1980).
Promoting social or physical distancing in and with people from collective cultures should be more effective. As the last few days have seen, promoting it in individualistic settings, requires much more work.
Hofstede, G. (1980). Culture’s Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values. Beverly Hills CA: Sage Publications.
CNN News (2020. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/21/health/social-distancing-coronavirus-faq-wellness-trnd/index.html Accessed 24/3/20
WHO (2020) https://futurism.com/the-byte/who-ditch-phrase-social-distancing Accessed 24/3/20
Check out our courses for 2020 at www.euromatech.com/training-plan-2020.
EuroMaTech is a leading training & management consultancy offering
training solutions that focus on enabling clients to improve their skills and
potential, to progressively achieve organisational outcomes. With a high
emphasis on quality, we support our clients’ training needs across a wide
range of industries to meet industry best practices and create value
addition. Our program categories include topics on: Administration
Finance & Budgeting, Customer &
Public Relations, HR
Process Engineering, Projects, Contracts &
Masterclass. With headquarters in Liverpool, UK and offices in Dubai and
Abu Dhabi, EuroMaTech deliver courses in worldwide venues including
Training Courses in Abu Dhabi , Training
in Amsterdam , Training
Courses in Bali ,
Training Courses in Bangkok , Training Courses
Training Courses in Brighton,
Training Courses in Brussels, Training Courses
in Berlin , Training Courses in Chicago ,
Training Courses in Colombo ,
Training Courses in Copenhagen , Training
Courses in Dubai , Training
Courses in Geneva , Training Courses in Georgia , Training Courses in
Jeddah , Training Courses in
Kuala Lumpur , Training Courses in London ,
Training Courses in Marrakech , Training
Muscat , Training Courses in Los
Angeles , Training
Courses in Orlando , Training Courses in Riyadh , Training Courses in Singapore , Training
Courses in St. Petersburg , Training
Courses in Sydney , Training Courses in Vancouver ,
Training Courses in Vienna , Training Courses
in Washington , and Training Courses in Zurich.
Join us on LinkedIn, Facebook , Twitter , Google+, YouTube & Instagram and make a professional presence online.