An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Technical Writing Course
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
There is a body of research that addresses why people don’t read technical manuals. Highly skilled engineers and scientists often do not understand how to put the material into a form that lay people can understand. This applies to many other technical documents. This EuroMaTech Technical Writing course helps anyone to develop their ability to write technical material for business, academic and general audiences. The course will help you improve your ability to write for a wide range of media, such as articles for magazines, newspapers and technical journals, technical reports, proposals, instruction manuals, marketing materials and much more. You will be able to Produce effective technical documents that are easy to read, understand and act upon.
This EuroMaTech training course includes:
- How to communicate effectively with your readers
- Following standards and style guides
- Writing effectively for different media
- Using charts, diagrams and other graphics effectively
- Editing, checking and using feedback
By the end of this EuroMaTech training course, participants will be able to:
- Use a systematic approach to writing technical documents
- Develop more efficient writing processes
- Meet the needs of readers enabling them to achieve their own objectives more easily
- Write clearly, succinctly and with a minimum of jargon
- Structure the document for greatest impact and readability
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This EuroMaTech training course is suitable for anyone who needs to write a technical document and is particularly relevant to:
- Engineers and Scientists who need to write for a non-technical audience
- Anyone moving into a roles that includes technical writing as part of their job.
- Managers who need to write technical information for non-technical audiences (such as committees, non-technical customers)
- Marketing and PR specialists working in a technical environment
This Technical Writing training course uses a wide variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure effective assimilation and retention of the information presented. The course is highly interactive and will prompt delegates to reflect on their own thinking, communication style and practice.
The Tutor will guide and facilitate learning using a wide variety of methods including direct input, video, discussions, case studies and group and individual exercises to focus on the themes of the course, practice skills and receive feedback.
This Technical Writing training course will take delegates step-by-step through the principles, rules and conventions of technical writing without losing sight of the most important factor – the purpose of the document. By focusing on that primary need plus the nature and needs of the readers/users, it is easier to design your technical document to answer the questions of the readers in an efficient and convincing way.
Day 1 - What are Technical Documents for?
- Barriers and pitfalls of business communication
- Characteristics of an effective technical documents
- Understanding the readers’ needs and preferred style
- Develop reference journal articles, manuals and white papers
- Adopt an appropriate format for your document
- Writing clear objectives for your document
Day 2 - The Writing Process
- Generating ideas – Mind mapping and brainstorming
- Sources of information and research techniques
- Selecting and structuring the content – logical sequencing
- Create sentences and paragraphs with clarity
- Readability, sentences, paragraphs and Plain English
- Dealing with jargon and appropriate words for your audience
- Punctuation and grammar
Day 3 - Making a Case
- introductions, conclusions, and other document sections
- Structuring the recommendations and making a case
- Tables, diagrams, figures and graphs
- Managing your time and priorities
- Writing Instructions and Procedures.
- Creating chapters and headings to signpost the text
Day 4 - Developing your writing style
- Polishing Your Writing and choosing words for maximum impact
- Critical reading and how to respond to comments
- Editing and using style guides
- Proof reading and grammar checking
- Writing for different platforms
- Beta testing
Day 5 - Layout and Presentation
- Presenting your report professionally
- Design the appearance of your page
- Numbering, references and document control
- Briefing and commissioning designers
- Types of document binding and their impact on useability
- Your personal action plan beyond the course
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.