An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Post Award Contracts
Managing Performance, Negotiating Claims and Resolving Disputes
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
Managers and professionals involved in the contracting process need to be effective and efficient in applying contract administration and management principles and practices. Without the necessary knowledge and skills, they won’t obtain the best results from contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers and others with whom their organisation is implementing works projects. This Post Award Contracts training course will give contract administration staff the foundations to administer contracts with contractors (and sub-contractors) effectively.
Participants attending the EuroMaTech Post Award Contracts training course will develop the following competencies:
- Learn what can go wrong when managing a contract – and how it can damage their business
- Identify – and prepare for - risks and issues that lie ahead in a contracting situation
- Increase their control of contract performance from the very start – before the contract is signed
- Consider what to do if things go wrong – including stepping in, substitution, terminating and dispute resolution.
This EuroMaTech Post Award Contracts training course aims to enable participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide better outcomes from contracts, through better contract management and administration
- Monitor contract performance
- Know how to analyse contract obligations and risks
- Prepare for contract claims and disputes
- Control variations to contract
- Manage contract default, and consider remedies including termination
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This EuroMaTech Post Award Contracts training course is suitable to wide range of professionals, but will greatly benefit:
- Contract Administrators
- Quantity Surveyors
- Civil Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Project Coordinators
- Project Engineers
- Project Managers (new to Contract Management)
- Construction Managers
- Contract Engineers
This EuroMaTech Post Award Contracts training course will use a variety of learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the materials presented. The course will be lively and interactive and will include online exercises, case studies, practice sessions, group discussions plus Q&A. Participants will receive personal feedback on their performance. The learning experience will be supported by a reference manual containing model documents and templates.
The course may also be conducted online using a suitable online platform that enables interactive working, such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
The 5-day EuroMaTech Post Award Contracts training course covers comprehensively the needs of managers and professionals who wish to learn how to carry out, or improve their skills in post-award Contract Administration. By applying what they learn during the training course attendees will ensure that contracts are efficiently and effectively performed, with risks reduced, better relationships established, and the results delivered that were sought from their contracts at the outset.
Day 1 - Introduction to the Management and Administration of Contracts post-award
- What is Effective Contract Management and Administration and why do we need it?
- The causes and effects of contract failure
- Analysis of the Contract requirements
- Defining the Job to be done – specifications and the scope of work
- Key Players in Contract Management and Administration
- Building a relationship for contractor performance
Day 2 - Structures to ensure that what has been contracted for gets delivered
- Contract Types and how different models manage risk
- Contract templates: FIDIC, NEC, other contract models and templates
- Principal performance obligations of the parties
- Contractor warranties
- Monitoring service performance using Service Level Agreements and KPIs
- Minimising the requirements for and impact of contract variations
Day 3 - Handling Contractor claims
- What’s in the contract to support a claim by either side?
- Extension of Time claims by Contractors
- Employer Risk events leading to claims for
- Delay and prolongation
- Disruption and loss of productivity
- Time related claims from Employers
- Liquidated and Ascertained Damages
- “Time at Large”
- Compensation Claims under the Contract
- Using Negotiation to manage contract claims
Day 4 - Contractual Dispute Management
- Differentiating claims from disputes
- Contract disputes in international contracts
- Dispute Avoidance and Adjudication Boards
- Alternative Dispute Resolution methods:
- Expert determination
- Early neutral evaluation
- Arbitration and Litigation
Day 5 - End of Agreement Contract Administration
- Applying Bonds and guarantees
- Operating the liquidated damages clause
- Handling defect liability and retention sums
- Checklist of Contract administration tasks from award to close-out
- Contract termination and handover
- Course summary and review
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.