An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining – Refining Process
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
This EuroMatech Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining - Refining Processes training course provides basic knowledge related to crude properties and how it is refines to get various other useful products. Procedure of converting the crude oil extracted from wells to products separated while passing through distillation column will be discussed in details. In addition, typical refinery consists of; crude reforming, hydro-treating, hydro-cracking, and coking.
Crude oil is classified according to; its sulphur content (sweet or sour) and according to its API gravity. The Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining training processes related to the cocker, reformer, alkylation, fluid catalytic cracking, desulfurization, hydro-treating, hydro-cracking, and isomerization units will also be discussed. Finally, the course of clarify the management aspects of refineries such as; economics and organization charts.
Participants attending the Enhancing Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining - Refining Processes training course will develop the following competencies:
- Projecting confidence by deep understanding the basics of Petroleum Refining technology
- Effective communication of gained underpinning knowledge to carry a persuasive message across to others
- Building connections that allows upgrading their awareness and expertise
- Help working in team to find creative solutions to workplace challenges based on a solid base of knowledge
This EuroMatech Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining - Refining Processes training course aims to enable participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Understand the properties of crude oil (chemical and physical)
- Describe the process of crude oil formation
- Recognize various applications of crude oil products
- Recognize various products of crude oil after refining
- Outline the basic chemical and physical properties of; naphta, gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, heating oil, residual oil and asphalt
- Explain the basic principles for optimizing refining process
- Explain the step-by-step process of refining petroleum
- Interpret the typical flow diagram of petroleum refineries
- Understand the basics of the refinery economics
The EuroMatech Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining - Refining Processes training course will combine presentations with interactive practical exercises, supported by video materials, activities and case studies. Delegates will be encouraged to participate actively in relating the principles and concepts discussed to particular needs of their workplace.
The EuroMatech Fundamentals of Petroleum Refining - Refining Processes training course covers essential skills such as; information retrieving from various sources, confidence to handle challenging situations in worksites and interpretation of technical information found in process and equipment manuals. This allows participants develop inspiring team members to achieve organizational goals and influencing individuals to support the team direction.
Day 1 - Crude Oil Basics
- Basic terminology and definitions
- Origin and Nature of Petroleum
- Classification of crude oil
- Crude Oil Composition
- Physical and chemical properties of crude oil
- Exploration and Production Methods
- Transportation logistics
- Case study 01: Petroleum transportation logistics
DAY 2 - Overview of Crude Refining
- Hydrocarbons classification
- What is an oil refinery?
- How Does a Simple Refinery Operate?
- Oil Refinery Safety
- Oil Refinery Services
- Surface Processing of Oil and Gas
- Refinery Types and Complexity
- Hydro-skimming, Cracking and Coking Refineries
- Case Study 02: Estimation of reserve
DAY 3 - Refinery Process Operations
- Physical Separation (Atmospheric Distillation, Vacuum Distillation)
- Chemical Conversion Processes (Gasoline Production)
- Delayed Cocking
- Hydro-treating (Fluid Catalytic Cracking)
- Hydro-cracking (Catalytic Reformer, Isomerization, Alkylation, Blending)
- Hydrodesulphurization (Amine treating, Sulfur Recovery, Asphalt plant)
- Optimization of Refinery Process
- Exercise – Blending calculation
DAY 4 - Petro-Chemicals
- Introduction to Petro-Chemical Industry
- Olefinic compounds (Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Isobutylene)
- Aromatic Compounds (Benzene, Toluene, Xylene)
- Production and Use of Olefinic compounds
- Production and Use of Aromatic Compounds
- Case study: Optimization of petrochemical facility operation
DAY 5 - Refinery Economics and organization
- Small and large refinery organization charts
- Economics of oil refining (Refineries value drivers, Nelson’s complexity index, Refinery’s gross margin, Crack Spread calculation, Refining Margins and Profitability
- Logistics and transportation
- Exercise: Netback calculations
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.