An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Electrical Instrumentation & Motors
Design, Installation, Operation & Protection in Non-Hazardous & Hazardous Environments
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
This EuroMaTech highly participative Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training course is designed to provide the participants with the skills to understand how Electrical & Instrument systems are designed, installed and operated in industrial process plants, particularly in the oil and gas, mining and minerals processing and heavy industries, and then expands into electrical motors and their associated motor protection and control systems. A major focus of this EuroMatech training course is how this and other equipment are used and applied in both hazardous as well as non-hazardous environments.
The Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training seminar is interactive and encourages delegates to participate through questions and answers, along with opportunities to discuss with the presenter specific issues which may result in appropriate solutions. Participants will learn:
- A brief revision the Fundamentals of Electricity including Electric Motors
- How to read Single-Line Diagrams
- How to Read Loop Diagrams
- The Key Requirements of Plant and Facilities Power Distribution
- How Hazardous Areas are Classified
- How Electrical and Instrument Equipment is selected for Hazardous Areas
- The Fundamentals of Control Systems and Instrumentation
- The types of Electric Motors used in the Oil and Gas, Mining and Minerals Processing and Heavy Industries
- How Motors are Started and Controlled, including Variable Speed Drives
- Motor Bearings and Lubrication Systems
- Motor Protection and Motor Managers
- The importance of Secure Earthing (Grounding) and Bonding
- The Operation and Maintenance of Electrical Equipment and Motors to ensure Plant Safety and Reliability
The Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training seminar aims to enable participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Review the fundamentals of electricity
- Understand fundamental safety requirements for personnel and equipment
- To read single line drawings and identify components of electrical equipment
- Understand the types of equipment used in electrical power systems
- Learn about electrical distribution systems and how they are configured
- Understand the importance of hazardous area requirements
- Learn the basics of instrumentation and control systems in a plant or facility
- The importance that I&C in the safe and reliable operation of the facility
- Understand earthing (or grounding) and bonding to ensure safety
- The importance of the maintenance of Electrical and Instrument/Control Equipment
- Troubleshooting Electrical and Instrument/Control Equipment
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training course is designed to provide a practical insight for personnel who interface and work with electrical systems in the Oil and Gas, Minerals Processing, Mining and Heavy Industries, or work in the engineering consulting industry servicing these clients.
This seminar is specifically tailored to suit those who have a basic to good understanding of electrical principals, and require further knowledge of electrical and instrument systems to more effectively manage their work and where necessary execute multi-discipline projects.
It has a heavy focus on electric motors as they are the main interface between the electrical system and the conversion of electrical energy to mechanical, as well as being important control elements in all processes. Personnel who should attend are:
- Project Professionals and Engineers
- Facilities Engineers
- Process and Chemical Engineers
- Electrical and Instrument Engineers who require additional training as detailed in this course outline.
- Mechanical Engineers
- Maintenance Technicians
The Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training course is also a useful introduction for relatively inexperienced Electrical and I&C engineers (i.e. graduates and the like) to gain an understanding of the practical issues that they will face in their careers.
The Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training course will combine presentations with interactive practical exercises, supported by video materials, activities and case studies. Delegates will be encouraged to participate actively in relating their particular requirements at their workplace.
There will be adequate time given for group discussion during and at the end of each session, including detailed case studies and anecdotes on based on the subject matter and the facilitator’s own experience in the field.
This EuroMaTech Electrical Instrumentation & Motors training seminar covers a wide range of topics relating to the design, installation, operation & protection of electrical and instrumentation equipment in Non-Hazardous & Hazardous Environments, and has a heavy emphasis on motors and motor control.
It discusses many aspects from the basic principles to the complex application of such systems in large plants and facilities, including their Operation and Maintenance.
This EuroMaTech training course is designed to be beneficial for professionals with both an electrical or nonelectrical / instrumentation background who require a better understanding of IC&E for their work or project execution, as well as graduates in the IC&E field who wish to gain practical knowledge in their field.
Day 1 - Fundamentals of Electricity
- A Brief History of Electricity and Electric Motors
- AC and DC Currents and Voltages and how they are generated, High, Medium and Low Voltages.
- The use of DC, Single and 3 phase AC power systems
- Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance, Power Factor and Harmonics
- Summary of Documents for IC & E systems, including how to read Single Line Diagrams and Loop Drawings
- Power System – Major Components
- Earthing (Grounding) and Bonding
Day 2 - Instruments, Control Systems and Electrical Protection
- Instrument and Control System Fundamentals: Sensors, Controllers, Final Elements, Modern Distributed Control
- Field Measurement of Physical Parameters (Flow, Pressure, Temperature, Density, Level, pH, Turbidity etc.) and associated Control Devices
- Programmable Electronic Systems (PLC, DCS, SIS, SCADA, EID)
- Control System Networking and Communication
- Automation in Control and Power Systems
- Power System Protection and Co-ordination
- Control System Security, Including Denial of Service and Sabotage from External Sources
Day 3 - Hazardous Areas, Introduction to Electrical Motors, Basic Theory and Operation
- Hazardous Area Requirements
- Hazardous Area Identification and Classification
- Types of Electric Motors
- AC Synchronous
- AC Asynchronous
- Commonly used Electric Motors in Industry
- Cast or Rotor
- Wound Rotor and Slipring
- Speed torque curves and motor starting considerations
- High Voltage Electric Motors
Day 4 - Motor Bearings and Lubrication, Motor Control and Protection
- Energy Efficiency of Motors and Factors that Limit or Extend Motor Life
- Motor Shaft Currents and Insulation of Bearings
- Motor Bearings – Design and Types, Plain, Roller and Sleeve, Lubrication
- Motor Control Methods and Techniques
- Reduced Voltage Start
- Variable Speed Drives
- Motor Protection Requirements including Motor Managers and Intelligent Motor Control
- Motor Thermal Model Including Overload, Locked Rotor, Often or Prolonged Acceleration and Duty Cycle Requirements
Day 5 - Safety, Maintenance, Reliability and Security of Electrical and Control Systems
- Electrical Safety in Industrial Facilities
- Power Supplies: Main, Standby, Back-up and Emergency
- Redundancy in power supplies, distribution networks, communication and control networks, safety systems etc.
- Preventative Maintenance, Corrective Maintenance and Maintenance Planning
- Motor Vibration Analysis, Thermography and Laser Alignment
- Repair or Replacement Decisions, Motor Repair
- Summary and Discussion
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.