An Intensive 5-day Training Course
Construction Contracting Excellence:
Managing Construction for a Better Delivery Outcome
- Format: Classroom
- Duration: 5 days
- Language: English
- Accredited: CPE, KHDA Certified training courses
Building construction plays a vital role in the successful execution of the corporate objectives of many organisations. Whether it’s to create a new production plant, to accommodate workers temporarily during a development or even to build a new corporate headquarters, construction is often the key element of the overall project.
But construction projects frequently go over budget or miss their initial completion dates through poor management by the client. Some contractors identify these management weaknesses and are highly effective at increasing their own margins by making claims for additional project time and/or additional costs. Indeed, it is not unknown for contractors to bid very low to win the work and then seek to make the project profitable through the skilful adoption of a process to make claims.
Employers that can keep a tight grip on this process, by controlling changes to what they require and by actively managing how their contractors perform, will have a better programme delivery experience. They will reduce claims for extensions of time, additional costs, and the potential for disputes, thus improving the chances of timely completion and cost-effective delivery.
Drawing on best practices with international construction contracts, such as those from FIDIC or NEC, this seminar identifies how your organisation can balance risk using the most appropriate contracting strategy and focuses on how best to make or defend your project from claims and deliver it on time and on budget. It also features how to monitor and manage performance failures, and provides tools, tips and techniques on effective resolution of disputes.
This seminar will highlight:
- The use of different procurement and contracting strategies
- Handling key risk areas in the procurement process
- Managing principal claims issues
- How change can be best managed
- Ways to deal with performance failures
- Managing construction claims and resolving disputes
At the end of this Construction Contracting Excellence training course, you will learn to:
- Understand the framework of international construction contracting and its principal obligations
- Get to grips with change and claims management in contract management
- Understand the claims procedures in the FIDIC and NEC model contracts
- Apply disputes resolution methodologies
- Develop your negotiation and decision-making skills
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This Construction Contracting Excellence training course will benefit all levels of personnel involved in any aspect of construction contracting. It will enable a broad range of disciplines to appreciate and understand effective project contracting.
This EuroMaTech training course is a suitably wide range of professionals but will significantly benefit:
- Civil and Mechanical Engineers
- Construction managers
- Project Management Professionals
- Contracts Administrators, Managers and Claims Handlers
- Procurement and Purchasing Staff
- Engineering, Operational and Maintenance Personnel
- Commercial, Financial and Insurance Professionals
This training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. The course will be lively and interactive and will include online exercises, case studies, practice sessions, breakout room group discussions plus Q&A. The learning experience will be supported by reference materials containing model documents and templates. The course will either be delivered face to face, in classroom mode, or will be delivered online using a suitable platform that enables interactive working, such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
The EuroMaTech 5-day Construction Contracting Excellence training course covers comprehensively the needs of managers and professionals who wish to learn how to carry out, or improve their skills in, developing and managing construction contracts. By applying what they learn during the training course, attendees will ensure that better contractual relationships are established, better agreements are negotiated, that contracts are efficiently and effectively performed, with fewer contract claims, and the expected outcomes are delivered.
Day 1 - Selecting Construction Project Delivery path
- Key Principles of contracting
- Factors Influencing Selection
- Key Procurement Strategies and Delivery Routes
- Funding and Level of Risk Transfer
- Forms of Contract
- Contractual Obligations of the parties
Day 2 - Contract Risks: Analysis, Negotiation, and management
- Principles of managing risk in construction contracts
- Conducting a contract risk analysis
- Important contractual terms that allocate or transfer risk
- Using Negotiation to manage contract risks
- Negotiation principles and methods
- Necessary knowledge and skills
Day 3 - Managing Time-Related Claims in construction
- Time Claims: under the Contract, or after a Breach of Contract
- Time claims by Employers
- Liquidated and Ascertained Damages
- Extension of Time claims by Contractors
- Employer Risk events leading to
- Delay and prolongation claims
- Disruption and loss of productivity claims
- Acceleration claims
- Impact of Concurrent delay
Day 4 - Managing Financial Claims in construction
- Financial Claims under the Contract
- The links between time and money claims
- When is the contractor entitled to additional payments?
- Time-related costs
- Contract Variation
- Compensation Claims following Breach of Contract
- What is breach of contract?
- Limiting or excluding different types of loss
- Other financial matters
- Force Majeure
Day 5 - Resolution of Construction Contract Disputes
- Contract disputes in construction
- Dispute procedures in international construction contracts
- Dispute Avoidance and Adjudication Boards
- Alternative Dispute Resolution methods:
- Expert determination
- Early neutral evaluation
- Arbitration and Litigation
Euromatech is a Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA) approved training institute in Dubai, licensed and approved to deliver training courses in the UAE.
The KHDA is the regulatory authority in the UAE, that oversees administering, approving, supervising, and controlling the activities of various education providers in the UAE. We are proud of our commitment to ensuring quality training courses and status as a KHDA-approved training provider.
Taught by our team of highly qualified trainers, our KHDA approved training courses will provide you with an enriching learning experience and practical knowledge that will help you future-proof your career and support professional development within your organisation.