Technical reports are more than the sum of the data they contain. They are tools for discussion, debating and decision making. They allow business leaders to assess situations and challenges they are not immediately involved in. Thus how these reports are understood becomes as, if not more, important than their content.
This means technical report authors need skills in writing for their key audiences, grabbing their attention, explaining complex terminology clearly and concisely, linking alternatives to outcomes and benefits, and issuing explicit calls to action.
This EuroMaTech Improving Technical Report Writing online training course provides technical subject experts with the opportunity to develop their interpersonal writing skills. The online training course focuses on the report writing competencies that ensure reports are relevant to their key audiences, read, understood and acted upon for the benefit of business decision making.
Participants will be able to:
- Present factual and complex information accurately, clearly and concisely in Business English
- Structure written English content so it achieves the results they want
- Write reports that are read, understood and acted on by their target audiences
Who should attend?
This Improving Technical Report Writing three day online training course is for professionals and managers who want to improve the impact of their reports, including in the following sectors:
- Engineering & mining
- Science, pharmaceutical & medical
- Telecoms, IT & technology
- Transportation & distribution
- Hospitality & leisure
- Media, marketing, communication & HR
- Banking & financial services
- Government & public sector
- Non-government organisations & charities.
Following this Improving Technical Report Writing three day online training course, participants will be able to:
- Write complex reports that are read and understood by their audiences
- Clearly communicate key messages and actions required in Business English.
The Technical Report Writing three day online training course combines presentations that share both theory and industry best practices with practical sessions in accordance with adult learning and blended learner-centred principles.
Delivery will be interactive, hands-on, experiential, peer-sharing and reflective. Interactive practical sessions. Participants are encouraged to reflect on and discuss their own professional issues and experiences. Overall 60% of training will be experiential and 40% will be theoretical.
This EuroMaTech online training course covers detailed aspects of how to compile and write a technical report. The suggestions presented in the course may be employed, whether you are writing a single page report, or a multi-volume research study. Technical reports do, or at least should, have a clear purpose and an identifiable audience. This online training course will give you a systematic and easy to understand approach to technical reports, and also help you choose the correct graphics, layout, and presentation style.
Day 1: Perfect Foundations for Technical Reports
How to present information and research so it is interesting and professional
- Being clear on the purpose and objectives
- Understanding who you are writing for
- Designing the structure and organising content logically
- Alternative structures that help readers find their way around technical reports
- Use graphics and illustrations to highlight key findings.
Day 2: Writing for Your Key Audiences
How to create reports that meet the needs of readers, are concise, easy to understand and apply in business decision making and operations
- Golden rules for successful technical writing
- When to replace overused technical words with living language
- The art of punctuation: the traffic signals of language, helping readers understand the points we are making
- Developing consistency in your writing style so readers trust your words
Day 3: Improving Technical Reports
Tips for ensuring audiences read, understand and act on technical and complex reports
- Presenting complex processes, systems and other technical subjects in a clear, concise and coherent way
- Collating and analysing primary and secondary data, drawing out conclusions and recommendations
- Clearly signalling the action we want stakeholders to take after reading the report
- Including an ‘About the Author’ that demonstrates professionalism and builds credibility in the report.
VAT Announcement: The Government of UAE have introduced Value Added Tax (VAT) on goods and services from 01-January-2018. In compliance with the legislation issued by the UAE Government, we will be applying a 5% VAT on the fees for all our programs and services offered from January 2018 as applicable and stipulated in the FTA circulars.