The banking crisis of 2008, which created financial havoc around the world, caused considerable savings and wealth to evaporate, strained the equity levels of global organisations to unprecedented minimum levels and resulted in money markets, as well as other normally liquid and transparent capital markets, to temporarily freeze up or suspend trading activities. As a result of the substantial losses caused by this tidal wave of financial ruin that occurred in equity stock markets, currency, commodity and derivative markets on a global basis, treasury and cash management functions are now regarded as vital for the stability, security and profitability of all organisations.
Participants will develop the following competencies:
- Improved treasury management skills by adopting the responsibilities and techniques required to ensure optimum organisational liquidity and profitability
- Better prepared to eliminate interest rate and exchange rate risks as well as commodity pricing risks utilising the best available internal and external hedging instruments
- Improve cash management skills as a result of gaining a better understanding of liquidity, and portfolio investment returns
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Professionals directly responsible for treasury and cash management functions. Supervisory professionals responsible for monitoring financial risks, including liquidity, credit, interest rate or exchange rate risks
- Managers and financial decision makers, whose techniques for decision making and risk analysis will be improved upon by the tools, techniques, strategies and best practices offered by this programme
- Professionals directly responsible for the implementation and execution of financial decisions made by other organisational executives and senior managers, who will gain a new perspective and appreciation for corporate decision-making processes and thereby benefit from shared values within their organisation
- Those professionals with an interest in finance or aspirations to enhance their careers in the field of finance
The programme aims to enable participants to achieve the following objectives:
- Recognise the roles, responsibilities, tools and strategies associated with treasury management, including international best practices and procedures
- Improve financial management skills in terms of managing assets and liabilities liquidity issues
- Discuss the various types of risks associated with global organisations, namely interest, exchange, credit and commodity pricing risks and identifying sources and methodologies of risk management in attending to these types of risks
- Examine the nature, risk and utilisation of financial derivatives in addressing financial risks
- Appreciate the basic concepts of cash management in order to enhance organisational cash flows and maximise portfolio investment returns
This highly interactive training programme will involve active participation by all participants through a combination of direct instruction, analysis and evaluation of practical case studies, examples and exercises as well as discussions of current issues, policies, procedures and other “real life” issues arising within the participants’ respective organisations.
In examining the various roles, functions and responsibilities coupled with the essential tools, techniques and skills necessary for efficient treasury and cash management functions within an organization, each participant will recognise and appreciate the cumulative, progressive approach to the learning of the programme topics. In addition, each participant will gain a comprehensive understanding of the intricacies associated with treasury and cash management functions, thus providing for future individual meaningful participation toward their respective organisation’s continued profitability and success.