Both leadership and management in the 21st Century are becoming increasingly more complex. Typically organisations in both the public and private sectors are facing changes driven by political, economic, sociological, technological, legal and environmental issues.
In order to successfully meet these challenges organisations need to ensure that their leaders and managers at all levels have a comprehensive understanding of their roles, goals and required competencies. This programme is focused on meeting this requirement. In these 10 days you will learn about:
The range of 21st Century competencies
- The need to think strategically
- The principles of managing change
- How to approach and solve problems creatively
- Critical aspects of teamwork
- The process of motivating yourself and others
- Methods for managing conflict
- Techniques for dealing with difficult staff
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Team leaders seeking to enhance their performance
- Technical staff seeking a greater understanding of management
- Managers desiring to sharpen their skills
- Anyone seeking to step up a level
- Know the importance of character in management
- Know the four dimensions of behavioural styles
- Understand how to be a Champion of Change
- Clarify your role as a leader and manager
- Identify Five Core Competencies of effective managers
- Understand a proven model for Developing a Successful Strategy
- Learn how to build a high performance team
- Recognize the difference between ineffective and effective teams
- Discover techniques for improving their personal performance as a team leader
- Study the different team player styles and their impact
- Devise a strategy to manage the team through the stages of development
- Examine the art of motivating employees
- Consider methods of dealing with conflicts between team members
- Review strategies for handling difficult people
In order to acknowledge individual participants’ different learning styles the programme uses a wide range of training methodology. Accordingly your programme leader will encourage active participation to capitalise on your existing experience and expertise, plus the use of:
- Role plays
- Readings/case studies
- Psychometric questionnaires
- Group exercises and discussions
In addition, where appropriate, participants will be encouraged to discuss ‘real life’ situations in their organisations.
This 10 day programme will begin with a week focussing on the way organisations compete in their chosen market(s); the ever more demanding roles of leaders/managers in the 21st Century, the need to continuously anticipate and react to changing circumstances and how to make defensible decisions.
The second week will focus on the process of becoming a highly effective team leader. Consideration is given to methods of building high performance teams and understanding the different leadership styles necessary to manage different types of teams. There will be an in depth analysis of techniques for the personal self-development of the team leader. Finally, attention will be placed on effectively dealing with issues of team conflict and the management of difficult people.
Lastly, participants will be encouraged to think through their strengths and opportunities for improvement in the light of their current role and future career.