- CCPS Risk-Based Process Safety (RBPS) 08 - 12 Aug 2021
- Gas Turbine & Compressors 08 - 12 Aug 2021
- Building Collaborative Business Models for Innovation and Competitiveness 08 - 12 Aug 2021
- Writing Effective Legal Documents and Commercial Contracts - A Practical Workshop 09 - 13 Aug 2021
- The Art of Strategic Management 09 - 13 Aug 2021
- Strategic Planning Specialist 09 - 13 Aug 2021
- The Art of Strategic Management and Leadership 09 - 20 Aug 2021
- Leadership and Management Skills for the 21st Century 09 - 20 Aug 2021
- Managing and Leading Innovation 09 - 13 Aug 2021
- Pensions Management 09 - 13 Aug 2021
- Advanced Warehouse Management,Warehousing Performance Measures,Storage Control & Safety 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Strategic Marketing: Planning, Development & Implementation 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Audit Sampling: From Engagement Planning to Execution 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Waste Management 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Professional English Language for Executive Management 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Accounting & Finance for Non-Financial Professionals 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Transformational Leadership Post COVID-19 15 - 19 Aug 2021
- Advanced Maintenance Management 16 - 20 Aug 2021
- Upstream Petroleum Cost Trends and Benchmarking 16 - 20 Aug 2021
Making winning decisions by avoiding these three mistakes
April 5, 2020
Habits That Lead to Terrible Decisions – Critical Thinking
The quality of a manager’s results is linked to the quality of their judgement, analysis and decisions. Most of the time these decisions are made on time and achieve good results. Critical Thinking and Problem solving is a key skill required to lead organisations.
But, why do managers and teams sometimes make terrible decisions? Or delay and cause problems as a result? Here are three reasons to consider: Laziness, indecisiveness and staying locked in the past.
This showed up as a failure to check facts, to take the initiative, to confirm assumptions, or to gather additional input. Basically, such people were perceived to be sloppy in their work and unwilling to put themselves out. They relied on past experience and expected results simply to be an extrapolation of the past.
This also includes not anticipating unexpected events. There is excellent research demonstrating that if people just take the time to consider what might go wrong, they are actually very good at anticipating problems. But many people just get so excited about a decision they are making that they never take the time to do that simple due diligence.
At the other end of the scale, when faced with a complex decision that will be based on constantly changing data, it’s easy to continue to study the data, ask for one more report, or perform yet one more analysis before a decision gets made. When the reports and the analysis take much longer than expected, poor decision makers delay, and the opportunity is missed.
It takes courage to look at the data, consider the consequences responsibly, and then move forward. Oftentimes indecision is worse than making the wrong decision. Those most paralyzed by fear are the ones who believe that one mistake will ruin their careers and so avoid any risk at all.
Remaining locked in the past
Some people make poor decisions because they’re using the same old data or processes, they always have. Such people get used to approaches that worked in the past and tend not to look for approaches that will work better. Better the devil they know. But, too often, when a decision is destined to go wrong, it’s because the old process is based on assumptions that are no longer true. Poor decision makers fail to keep those base assumptions in mind when applying the tried and true.
Check out our courses for 2020 at www.euromatech.com/training-plan-2020.
EuroMaTech is a leading training & management consultancy offering
training solutions that focus on enabling clients to improve their skills and
potential, to progressively achieve organisational outcomes. With a high
emphasis on quality, we support our clients’ training needs across a wide
range of industries to meet industry best practices and create value
addition. Our program categories include topics on: Administration
Finance & Budgeting, Customer &
Public Relations, HR
Process Engineering, Projects, Contracts &
Masterclass. With headquarters in Liverpool, UK and offices in Dubai and
Abu Dhabi, EuroMaTech deliver courses in worldwide venues including
Training Courses in Abu Dhabi , Training
in Amsterdam , Training
Courses in Bali ,
Training Courses in Bangkok , Training Courses
Training Courses in Brighton,
Training Courses in Brussels, Training Courses
in Berlin , Training Courses in Chicago ,
Training Courses in Colombo ,
Training Courses in Copenhagen , Training
Courses in Dubai , Training
Courses in Geneva , Training Courses in Georgia , Training Courses in
Jeddah , Training Courses in
Kuala Lumpur , Training Courses in London ,
Training Courses in Marrakech , Training
Muscat , Training Courses in Los
Angeles , Training
Courses in Orlando , Training Courses in Riyadh , Training Courses in Singapore , Training
Courses in St. Petersburg , Training
Courses in Sydney , Training Courses in Vancouver ,
Training Courses in Vienna , Training Courses
in Washington , and Training Courses in Zurich.
Join us on LinkedIn, Facebook , Twitter , Google+, YouTube & Instagram and make a professional presence online.