- Risk Assessment within Production Operations 17 - 21 Jan 2021
- Auditing of Projects and Contractors 17 - 21 Jan 2021
- HRM Skills for Today’s Leaders and Professionals 17 - 21 Jan 2021
- Strategic Planning Specialist 18 - 22 Jan 2021
- The Art of Strategic Management and Leadership 18 - 29 Jan 2021
- The Art of Strategic Management 18 - 22 Jan 2021
- Business Analysis for Project Success 24 - 28 Jan 2021
- Management of Contracts and Contract Claims 24 - 28 Jan 2021
- E-Library Management Techniques 24 - 28 Jan 2021
- Flares and Relief Systems: Efficient Design, Safe Operation & Maintenance 24 - 28 Jan 2021
- The Art and Science of Professional Leadership 25 - 29 Jan 2021
- The Practical Leader: Developing and Leading High Performing Teams 31 - 04 Feb 2021
- Electric Submersible Pumps (ESPs) 31 - 04 Feb 2021
- Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) 31 - 04 Feb 2021
- Principles, Applications and Performance of Pumps, Compressors and Turbines 31 - 04 Feb 2021
- Strategic Thinking and Leadership for Engineers 01 - 05 Feb 2021
- Health, Safety & Environment in Engineering Projects 07 - 11 Feb 2021
- Leadership and Management Skills for Supervisors 07 - 11 Feb 2021
- Electrical & Instrumentation Design, Installation & Operation: 07 - 11 Feb 2021
- Advanced Budgeting & Forecasting 07 - 11 Feb 2021
Can a Virtual Team be High Performing?
May 26, 2020
Individuals do not often work in isolation. Work is essentially a group-based activity, and if an organisation is to be effective, it needs effective team working at all levels. Indeed, team working has become an increasingly common feature of organisational life as management seeks to introduce flatter organisational structures in response to changes in technology in an increasingly complex marketplace.
When working effectively, a team can provide real benefits for both individuals and organisations, but you should also be aware of the pitfalls of team working. If you simply call a group of people who work together, a team, you will not magically harness the real benefits of team working.
It is important to be clear on our definition of a team. There has been a preoccupation by work psychologists to debate the differences between teams and groups. Simply stated, a team is a particular type of group. A team can be defined as two or more people who come together in a group to achieve a common goal or objective, which is not achievable on an individual basis.
Team working as a method of organising people at work, has potential benefits at an individual level, in terms of satisfying various psychological needs and an organisational level, in terms of performing functions to achieve organisational objectives.
In recent years, there has been a move towards virtual teams, where a group of employees from different geographic locations use communication technology to collaborate. Due to the recent pandemic, the use of virtual teams has increased enormously.
Effective and Ineffective Teams
What makes a virtual team effective? Well, besides competence in the use and application of communication technology, it is the same as for any team. When it gets the job done, it was set up to do. However, things are always more complex than that.
Work psychologists have devised numerous frameworks to help managers discover what makes an effective team. There are many theories about which competencies are possessed by high-performing teams. Nevertheless, most theorists agree the following seven competencies are the most important.
1. The team focuses on open and effective communication methods.
2. The team has clear, measurable goals that are accepted by all members.
4. The team holds each other mutually accountable for results.
5. The team has a process for managing conflicts but also appreciates the positive aspects of conflict (e.g., avoids groupthink).
6. Team members collaborate to accomplish their goals.
7. Team members are willing to take risks to bring new, innovative ideas that will assist the team in achieving the desired results.
With virtual teams, we can add the skills needed for the effective use of communication technology (e.g., Click Meeting, MS Teams, Zoom or VOIP Skills) and good communication infrastructure (e.g., fast internet). There are also skills needed by the leaders of virtual teams that are like those needed for cross-functional leadership. This includes Cultural Intelligence (CI), Emotional Intelligence (EI), Management & Leadership competencies, and specialist communication skills.
Check out our courses for 2020 at www.euromatech.com/training-plan-2020.
EuroMaTech is a leading training & management consultancy offering
training solutions that focus on enabling clients to improve their skills and
potential, to progressively achieve organisational outcomes. With a high
emphasis on quality, we support our clients’ training needs across a wide
range of industries to meet industry best practices and create value
addition. Our program categories include topics on: Administration
Finance & Budgeting, Customer &
Public Relations, HR
Process Engineering, Projects, Contracts &
Masterclass. With headquarters in Liverpool, UK and offices in Dubai and
Abu Dhabi, EuroMaTech deliver courses in worldwide venues including
Training Courses in Abu Dhabi , Training
in Amsterdam , Training
Courses in Bali ,
Training Courses in Bangkok , Training Courses
Training Courses in Brighton,
Training Courses in Brussels, Training Courses
in Berlin , Training Courses in Chicago ,
Training Courses in Colombo ,
Training Courses in Copenhagen , Training
Courses in Dubai , Training
Courses in Geneva , Training Courses in Georgia , Training Courses in
Jeddah , Training Courses in
Kuala Lumpur , Training Courses in London ,
Training Courses in Marrakech , Training
Muscat , Training Courses in Los
Angeles , Training
Courses in Orlando , Training Courses in Riyadh , Training Courses in Singapore , Training
Courses in St. Petersburg , Training
Courses in Sydney , Training Courses in Vancouver ,
Training Courses in Vienna , Training Courses
in Washington , and Training Courses in Zurich.
Join us on LinkedIn, Facebook , Twitter , Google+, YouTube & Instagram and make a professional presence online.